There was a slight chill to the air as 120 runners toed the line for the last race in the 2023 $5K Series. For the year we averaged 149 registered runners for each race and an average of 131 finishers. The September race brought the average finisher number down because the race had to be rescheduled to the following week due to thunderstorms and lightning in the area.
Athletes from around the globe once again enjoyed our 5K course this year as we welcomed Alex and Clare Barr from Scotland. They enjoyed running with us so much that they relocated to Winston-Salem and have become TCTC members!
Mast General Store was again our presenting sponsor and received their company logo on the awards. Burke Street Pizza gave us a ton of pizza that was quickly devoured and TCTC supplied sodas. If you get a chance, please stop by Mast General and Burke Street Pizza and tell them “thank you” for sponsoring the $5K Series! We also had alternating monthly giveaways from Crazy Running and Breakthrough Physical Therapy. Winners received either a FREE training program with Crazy Running or five 30-minute run sessions on an anti-gravity treadmill at Breakthrough Physical Therapy!
Awards this year were arm sleeves!
Here are a few highlights from the 2023 $5K Race Series:
- 1,045 registered runners out of a possible 1050
- 918 finishers
- 38 out of the 918 ran all seven races. (More than double 2022!)
- 22 were male, 16 were female
- 1 of the 38 ran all seven races in 2023, 2022, 2021, & 2019 – MELISSA HOBSON
- Youngest runner for 2023 was 6; the oldest was 77
- International runners: Alex & Clare Barr, Scotland
- Three runners won their age group for all 7 races: Ed Flowers (60-64), Hobert Freeman (70+), and Jennifer Pierce (70+).
THANK YOU to all our volunteers this year!! None of our races could happen without the support of our volunteer staff and timing crew!
And THANK YOU to everyone who raced this year! We hope to see you again at one of our other TCTC races … AND … for the 2024 $5K Race Series