October 11 was the last race in the 2022 $5K Series. The weather held out for us once again with just a slight chill in the air as the evening came about. While June, July and August were sweltering hot, not one race again this year was affected by adverse weather. Let’s hope for the same in 2023!
Athletes from around the globe enjoyed our 5K course this year. Our first international competitor, Jonathan Palmer from the United Kingdom, had a blast and hopes to return next year if work allows. Jonathan was here on business and happened to see a post on Facebook by Francis Miller. He and his partner are expecting their first baby, a girl, soon and we wish them all the best!
And another first this year was having sponsors! Mast General Store was our presenting sponsor and received their company logo on one side of the awards. They will return in 2023 as the presenting sponsor. Fiddlin’ Fish Brewing Company and Longleaf Provisions Company were also contributing sponsors. In addition to monetary donations, each sponsor also gave two “products” that were given to randomly generated bib numbers. MGT gave two lucky winners each a barrel of candy and $50 in gift cards. FFBC gave a T-shirt and a metal sign with their logo and LPC gave 100 packs of CBD gummies. Burke Street Pizza supplied 25 pizzas for the awards party and they did not last long. Classic Touch Car Wash provided a “bubbly” start to the race and free car washes for everyone who stopped by their table AND they gave four lucky winners free car washes for a month. Please remember to say thank you to our sponsors for supporting the $5K Series and TCTC by stopping by their stores, emailing or calling.
Ben Kassel crossed the finish line before anyone else in ALL SEVEN RACES! He took the Overall Male title while Molly Nunn once again ran away with the Overall Female title. FUN FACT: Melissa Hobson has run in every single $5K race in the last four years!
Here are a few more highlights from the 2022 $5K Race Series:
- 964 registered runners out of a possible 1050 (150 possible runners per race * 7 races)
- 824 finishers
- 15% of registered runners did not show up to race
- 17 out of the 824 ran all seven races! 8 were male, 9 were female
- The youngest male to run all seven was 39; the youngest female was 9
- 3 of the 17 also ran all seven races in 2021
- 4 of the 17 ran all seven races in 2019 (no series in 2020 due to COVID)
- 1 of the 17 ran all seven races in 2022, 2021 and 2019 – MELISSA HOBSON
- 15-19 age groups had no one who ran at least 5 races
- Youngest runner for 2022 was 4 (male); the oldest was 83 (female)
- First international runner: Jonathan Palmer from United Kingdom
- Ben Kassel placed first in every $5K race in 2022
- Five runners won their age group for every race: A. Abernathy (0-9), Patricia Thomas (20-24), Molly Nunn (35-39), Ben Kassell (40-44), Ed Flowers (60-64).
THANK YOU to all our volunteers this year! None of our races could happen without the support of our volunteer staff and timing crew!
And THANK YOU to everyone who raced this year! We hope to see you again at one of our other TCTC races … AND for the 2023 $5K Race Series!